Let's Get Active!
Hello! You've landed here, so you're interested in adding some activity to your life! That's wonderful! Like most folks, you probably need some ideas about where to go and what to do? Are there free events in my area? Where are the family-friendly events? We can help!
We've complied a list of ideas for you to get started. As you will see, the list includes a broad range of categories such as run/walks, State Parks, swimming pools, etc, with links to individual events or web pages for more details. Take a look; it's a good place to start your search for finding things to help you get active and healthy!
NOTE: If you know of any local events or recreational venues that could be included on this page, please contact Lori at Upland Hills Health at 930-7170 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Cycling for Health and Fitness
It only takes two to four hours a week to achieve a general improvement to your health. Cycling is:
- Low impact – it causes less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise.
- A good muscle workout – cycling uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal.
- Easy – unlike some other sports, cycling does not require high levels of physical skill. Most people know how to ride a bike and, once you learn, you don’t forget.
- Good for strength and stamina – cycling increases stamina, strength and aerobic fitness.
- As intense as you want – cycling can be done at very low intensity to begin with, if recovering from injury or illness, but can be built up to a demanding physical workout.
- A fun way to get fit – the adventure and buzz you get from coasting down hills and being outdoors means you are more likely to continue to cycle regularly, compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places.
- Time-efficient – as a mode of transport, cycling replaces sedentary (sitting) time spent driving motor vehicles or using trams, trains or buses with healthy exercise.
You can discover thousands of miles of traffic-free paved bike trails across the state. Wisconsin’s rails-to-trails program features more than 80 fantastic bike trails waiting to be explored. Find many biking options on Travel Wisconsin.
Bowling for Health
Besides being a fun and competitive game, bowling also offers you numerous health benefits such as:
- Weight Loss. Bowling helps you slim down by speeding up your metabolism
- Muscle Toning and Strengthening
- Reduced Risk of Disease
- A Sport for All Ages
- Improved Social Life
Dodger Bowl Lanes
318 King St.
Fennimore Lanes, LLC
1160 12th Street
1850 Midway Rd.
Turner Hall of Monroe
1217 17th Ave.
Tower Junction Restaurant/Bowling Alley
254 US-18, Montfort
1185 US-151 Business, Platteville
FUN CAMPING FACT
While all of the delectable, but maybe not so healthy foods are calling your name, spending time in the outdoors can add years to your life. These are the great benefits:
- Fresh Air
- Good Nights Sleep
- Less Stress
- Healthy Food
- Decreases Depression and Anxiety
Camping is an activity you can do solo or with your family. You can choose to go very basic, or you can choose to go all out with a 28’ Coleman Camper with all the amenities! Now is the time to get out and get camping! The following websites are a great place to start your search. You will find a listing of all Wisconsin State Parks, recreations trails, campgrounds, and also activity listings for all these sites. We also have a link to the private campgrounds in Wisconsin, and also information for other campgrounds in Southwest Wisconsin that didn't make either list.
State Campground Listings
Private Campground Listings
Local Private Campgrounds Not Listed Above
Blackhawk Lake, Cobb, Wisconsin
Nestled in the gently rolling hills of southwest Wisconsin, you'll find the perfect getaway for your family, friends, and groups. For camping, boating, fishing, or tramping the trails, Blackhawk Lake Recreation Area welcomes you! http://www.blackhawklake.com/Home.html
Dancing....Fun and Good for You!
Dancing….provides a wide range of physical and mental health benefits, including:
- Improved condition of your heart and lungs
- Increased muscular strength, endurance and motor fitness
- Increased aerobic fitness
- Improved muscle tone and strength
- Weight management
- Stronger bones and reduced risk of osteoporosis
Best of all...dancing can be done anywhere, anytime -- In your kitchen while you're waiting for the pot of water to boil or while you are cleaning your house; just turn on your radio and rock and roll! If you are looking to get out and go dancing, check out these local venues:
3210 County Rd.
Dodgeville WI 53533
Folklore Village is a nationally recognized folk arts and culture center dedicated to enriching lives through time-honored traditions. Since 1968, thousands of people of all ages have come to Folklore Village to gather with friends, meet new people, to eat, dance, sing and play. Come study with a master fiddler… sing with a gospel choir… dance until midnight… learn to make a basket… feast on jambalaya… join a back porch jam session… plant prairie flowers… or picture yourself as a student in a real 1890 schoolhouse… pass it on. Check out all that they have to offer here: https://folklorevillage.org/upcoming-events/calendar-of-events/
1217 17th Ave.
Most Sunday afternoons from 1 - 5 pm, enjoy dancing with live music performed by some of the most popular old-time bands in Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota.
Admission to the Sunday afternoon dances is $12 per person unless noted otherwise. Freshly-made popcorn and beverages are available at an additional cost.
Exercise for You and Your Furry Friend
It's a win-win situation when you take the time to take Fido on a walk or when you take him to a dog park to play fetch! The benefit of fresh air, combined with getting up and moving is great for both of you. Taking Fido on a walk around the neightborhood only requires you to grab the leash and put on some comfortable walking shoes and head out the door.
If you are looking to give Fido some space to run loose and play fetch, and you are not able to do that where you live, then a dog park is the perfect place to go.
3000 Business Park Rd.
S12947 Shifflet Rd.
The link to their web page is http://springgreendogpark.com/ . They also have a Facebook page called Spring Green Dog Park. You might want to check that out for specific information about the dog park.
Family Friendly Activities/Events
If you are on the hunt for activities to do with the whole family, we can help by providing you with one place to search! Check out this all-inclusive web site for every kind of kid-friendly event/venue in Wisconsin! Get out there and have fun with the family! https://www.familydaysout.com/
June 2020 (Date TBD)
UHH Family Fun Day at Harris Park, from 1-4 p.m.
Join us for a day of FREE fun activities, at Harris Park, including kickball; dodgeball; football, soccer and basketball skills fun; a fun craft project, an obstacle course and more!
Free goody bags for all kids! Door prizes, and each child who completes an Activity Passport will have a chance to win a free bike!
Come when you can; stay as long as you want!
This is a FREE event for all, but please take the time to register your attendance, so we can be sure to have enough supplies on hand. Here is the link to our registration page: www.uhhfamilyfunday.eventbrite.com.
Golf (regular, mini, disc and foot)
Golf is Exercise? It Sure Is!
Take A Swing At This: Golf Is Exercise, Cart Or No Cart. Even golfers using a motorized cart can burn about 1,300 calories and walk 2 miles when playing 18 holes.
Wisconsin Golf Course Listings
Mini Golf Course Listings
Have you tried this new twist on golf? It’s very family friendly. It’s always fun to try something new! https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Wisconsin
Foot golf? Is that a typo? Nope. If you would rather kick a ball than swing at it, this might be just the thing for you….and your whole family! Learn all about it and find the nearest Footgolf course here: https://www.footgolf.us/courses. Here is the link to the Wisconsin Footgolf Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/footgolfwisconsin/
Hiking is a Powerful Cardio Workout That Can:
- Lower your risk of heart disease.
- Improve your blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- Boost bone density, since walking is a weight-bearing exercise.
- Build strength in your glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, and the muscles in your hips and lower legs.
- Strengthen your core.
Discover over 2,500 miles of hiking, walking, and running trails in Wisconsin. Be sure to take your camera and capture the breathtaking scenery along the way. https://www.travelwisconsin.com/things-to-do/outdoor-fun/natural-attractions-parks/trails-hiking
So Many Lakes, So Little Time!
Whether you are looking to go fishing, boating, swimming, or all three, you need to find the perfect lake for your adventure! Since Wisconsin is the land of over 15,000 lakes, we wanted to help you narrow down your search by providing you one web site that provides information about lakes located in Wisconsin. This site includes information about fishing, boating, swimming, etc., and includes many search options to help you locate a lake quickly.
Link to Wisconsin Lakes Search:
Getting In Touch With Nature
Visit one of Wisconsin’s science and nature centers to make your outdoor adventure even more memorable. Explore the engaging, interactive exhibits at Wisconsin nature centers which are easily accessible throughout the state.
Here's a link to Travel Wisconsin, where you can search by location to find just the right place to begin your outdoor adventure! https://www.travelwisconsin.com/search?search=nature+centers&filter=All+Content
Wheels of Fun!
When you think of roller skating, you might think of someone on roller blades, strolling along the sidewalks and boardwalks near the beaches of California. At least, that’s what we see in movies, right? But in reality, roller skating can be done anywhere, even in your own neighborhood. And the best part of it is, not only is it a fun activity, but it offers plenty of great health benefits for your body.
Here are the Top 10 from Health Fitness Revolution and author of the book ReSYNC Your Life by Samir Becic:
- Easy on the joints: Skating provides you with fluid motion that keeps you from damaging your joints, helping you enjoy movement similar to running to or dancing without the harsh impact.
- Great as a cross training exercise: Roller skating is equivalent to jogging in terms of health benefits and caloric consumption, reduction of body fat, and leg strength development.
- Calorie burning (fat burning): The calorie-burning benefits of roller skating add up quickly; you can burn between 300 and 600 calories if you skate for a full hour.
- Good for mood: Between the music, lights, sunlight, social aspect, health benefits and fun, roller skating is one of the most fun workouts!
- Works the arms and legs: Skating works the legs and glutes as you power through movement, while your arms and core get a workout as you balance your body during the movement.
- Great for improving balance, agility and coordination:Coordinating balance and leg movement improves coordination.
- Strengthen the heart: The American Heart Association recognizes roller skating as an effective aerobic exercise that helps strengthen the heart.
- Improve endurance: In addition to increasing muscle strength, roller skating can help increase muscle endurance.
- Can be done anywhere: Many people like roller skating in a rink with others, but it can be done outside on the street, on a paved trail, anywhere with a smooth, steady surface.
- Social: Roller-skating is a social activity that can be done with friends. Being social is an important part of health.
Below is a listing of some local rollerskating rinks:
1290 7th St.
General Information: Sat. Afternoon skate: 1-3 p.m. Friday and Saturday evening skate: 7-10 p.m. They do not have a web page, but do have a Facebook page, if you would like to search for more information. Here is the link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rainbo.palace
Monroe Den Roller Skating Rink
1506 31st Ave.
Galaxie Skate Center
1215 E. Haseltine St.
Listed by Date: Please check back in spring of 2020 for the 2020 run/walk dates as they become available.
May , 5:30 p.m.
Upland Hills Health Community Run/Walk at Harris Park in Dodgeville.
Kick off the Run/Walk Season with Upland Hills Health. There will be a 1.4K Kids Runs (at 5:30 pm), a 5K Run and Walk (at 6 pm) and a Pavilion Track Walk! ...there is a run or walk for any age, any ability to participate! Register online here.
July 4, 2020
July 4th , 8:00 a.m.
Getting’ the Lead Out Historic 2 & 5 Mile Run
Contact the Chamber for more details: 987.3201. Register online here.
July , 9:00 a.m.
Blue Ribbon 5K Milk Run/1 Mile Walk
200 5th Ave., Hollandale, WI
The scenic run/walk will begin at the American Legion Building in Hollandale. Coordinated by Blue Ribbon 4-H Club, proceeds will be split between the 4-H Club, local food pantry and program development to support mental health for farmers. Click here for more information and to register for the event.
July , 6-8 p.m.
Suicide Memorial Walk
Ridgeway Ball Park
Live Butterfly release @ 6pm and Helicopter Golf Ball Drop @ 8pm, Fire Works @ Dusk! Lots of activities to participate in. Click here for more information and to register for the event.
July , 9 a.m. to noon.
Linden Frolic Color Run/Walk
Please come join us for a colored 5k Run/ 3k Walk during our Linden Frolic Days! A portion of the proceeds is going to Upland Hills Hospice this year! So come join the fun and donate to a great cause! Any questions please feel free to contact us! Click here for more information and to register for the event.
2020 Cobb Corn Roast 5K Run/Walk & Kids Fun Run.
5K Run/Walk – 8:30 am
Kids Fun Run – 9:15 am
Start and finish at the Cobb Public Library. All money raised will benefit the Cobb Public Library. Cost is $20 for ages 14 and older (includes a water bottle); $10 for ages 6-13 (includes book and other surprises), and free for ages 5 and younger (includes book and other surprises). Here is the link for the registration form: https://www.villageofcobb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/5K-Run-2018-registration.pdf
A Day in the Park, 4Pete’s Sake A day filled with family fun and events, including a run/walk, and a 26k bike ride. This is a fundraising event with all profits being donated to a local individual in need. Here are all the details: http://www.4petesake.com/day-in-the-park/
Monster Dash, 2018 5K Run/Walk event. Registration begins at 8 a.m. with event beginning at 9:00 a.m. Get all the details and sign up here: https://runsignup.com/race/wi/fennimore/monsterdash2018.
State Parks - Wisconsin
Wisconsin State Park System, Online. A place to:
- Find a Wisconsin state park, forest, recreation area or trail.
- Reserve a family or group campsite.
- Buy a vehicle admission sticker or state trail pass.
- Get Outdoors to attend a nature program or event with family and friends.
Here's the website that will take you there: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/
Swimming is an activity that burns lots of calories, is easy on the joints, supports your weight, builds muscular strength and endurance. It also improves cardiovascular fitness, cools you off and refreshes you in summer, and is one that you can do safely into old age.
Following is a list of community pools in our area. Don't forget to bring the sunscreen along!
501 S. Dacotah St.
Fennimore Community Pool
445 7th St.
Located at Soldier's Memorial Park
206 Copper Street
S. Madison St.
Mount Horeb Family Aquatic Center
204 Park St.
Muscoda Swimming Pool
614 N. 3rd St.
Platteville Family Aquatic Center
1155 N. 4th St.
Symons Recreation Complex
1250 Symons Circle
Not Sure What You Want to Do?
We've found a comprehensive web site for all things Wisconsin! If you really don’t know what you want to do, or you want to explore something new, this is the place to start your search. Check it out and Travel Wisconsin: https://www.travelwisconsin.com/
You will be able to search by category, location or even by date! Start planning your adventure now!
Zoos in Wisconsin
Zoos -- Fun For All Ages!
Thousands of exotic and interesting animals from all over the world make their home at Wisconsin zoos where you can also enjoy train rides, petting zoos and playgrounds, and educational activities for the entire family.
Here's a link to a website where you can search for zoos in Wisconsin. You may be pleasantly surprised at the number of zoos we have: https://www.travelwisconsin.com/search?search=zoos&filter=All+Content